The July 2022 updates to the Google Play system are set to bring the full rebrand of “Google Wallet” along with some new forms of “multi-device experiences.”
While much of Android is open source and highly modifiable, many of the core features of our phones are actually powered by Google Play Services. This core app works in conjunction with the Play Store and Android’s monthly “Google Play System Updates”. Over the course of each month, Google constantly releases Patch notes for this trio (aka “Google System”).
The easiest way to check if you need to update Google Play Services on your phone is to follow a direct link to the apps Play Store listing and update from there if available. To update the Play Store, tap your avatar in the corner, then tap Settings. Under the “About” section, you will see an “Update Play Store” option. In the meantime, you can find Google Play system updates from the Settings app under About phone > Android version > Google Play system update.
Google released the first batch of July update notes for the Play system a little later than usual this month, possibly because the first Monday is a public holiday. In the first wave, we note that the previously announced renaming of Google Pay to “Google Wallet” should be coming fairly soon, along with the previously previewed material that you are redesigning.
Another section shows that Android developers will have new possibilities to create “seamless multi-device experiences”. This probably refers to the Share APIs nearby announced at Google I/O. Additionally, Google’s July updates seem to streamline the “Data & Privacy” tab in Account Settings.
Google Play System Updates for July 2022
- [Phone] The section headings in the Data & Privacy tab of Google Account settings have a new look.
- [Phone] APIs for developers to create seamless multi-device experiences.
Google play store
- Improvements to the play-as-you-download feature to allow players to start playing mobile games, while app download further reduces wait times.
- New features to help you discover your favorite apps and games.
- Optimizations that allow faster and more reliable download and installation.
- New features for the Play Pass and Play Points programs.
- Google Play billing improvements.
- Continuous improvements to Play Protect to protect your device.
- Various performance optimizations, bug fixes, and improvements related to security, stability, and accessibility.
- [Phone] Offer the possibility to filter the data packages available for purchase according to different categories received from the network operator.
- [Phone] Updates the user experience to the latest Google material design and is renamed “Google Wallet”.
- New developer capabilities for Google and third-party app developers to support Maps-related developer services in their apps.
FTC: We use income earning auto affiliate links. Sea.