Amazon Prime Day was a huge success for Amazon and many people bought all kinds of products and gadgets. The entire Kindle line has been heavily discounted, as have Fire tablets. Prime members purchased more than 300 million items worldwide during Prime Day 2022, making this year’s event the largest Prime Day event in Amazon history. And more shopping means more savings – Prime members saved over $1.7 billion, more than any other Prime Day event.
“Prime Day is a celebration of our Prime members, who look forward to it every year, and we’re thrilled to have once again brought them incredible savings,” said Doug Herrington, CEO of Amazon Worldwide Stores. “This special event is made possible through the support of our employees, suppliers and vendors and I would like to say a huge thank you to all of them for making this Prime Day a day to remember.”
“We were thrilled to partner with Amazon for this year’s Prime Day,” said Rob Jackson, Ujamaa Lighting, a high-quality energy-efficient lightbulb company based in Austin, Texas. “Being a part of Amazon has given Ujamaa access to so many new customers beyond those in our local community – which has been invaluable for this small father and son business. We applaud Amazon for their efforts in empowering small businesses and look forward to working with them even more in the future.”
Global Prime Day trends
- Prime members worldwide bought more than 100,000 items per minute during this year’s Prime Day event.
- Some of the top-selling categories worldwide this Prime Day were Amazon Devices, Consumer Electronics and Home.
- Prime members worldwide made the most purchases during the entire Prime Day event on Tuesday, July 12 from 9:00-10:00 PT.
- Some of the world’s best-selling items this Prime Day came from premium beauty brands, including LANEIGE and NuFACE; Apple Watch Series 7; diapers and wipes from Pampers and The Honest Company; Rachael Ray, Le Creuset and Hamilton Beach kitchenware; VTech and LeapFrog toys; Vital proteins collagen whey; Levi’s clothing and accessories; Chemical Guys car washes; and pet products from NUTRO, TEMPTATIONS, and GREENIES.
- Since Prime Day shopping began on July 12, select Fire TV, Echo, and Blink devices have been among the best-selling items on Amazon worldwide.
- Customers supported small businesses in the three weeks leading up to Prime Day and generated more than $3 billion in sales for small businesses who entered the Support Small Businesses to Win Big sweepstakes.
- Customers bought more than 100 million small business items in the three weeks leading up to Prime Day.
US Prime Day Trends
- Prime members in the US bought more than 60,000 items per minute during this year’s Prime Day event.
- Prime members in the US made the most purchases on Wednesday, July 13 during the US Prime Day event from 8:00 p.m. to 9:00 p.m. PT.
- Some of the top-selling categories in the US this Prime Day were consumer electronics, housewares and household.
- Some of the best-selling items in the US this Prime Day were premium beauty brands, including LANEIGE and NuFACE; Apple Watch Series 7; Crest Teeth Whitening and Oral-B Electric Toothbrushes; Children’s and baby clothing from Simple Joys by Carter’s; bentgo kids lunch boxes; Levi’s clothing and accessories; Shark vacuums, air purifiers and steam mops; Beats by Dre headphones and earbuds; outdoor gear and apparel from Coleman, Marmot and ExOfficio; and construction toys, including LEGO sets, Magna-Tiles and PLAYMOBIL.
- Customers across the US took advantage of Prime Day to celebrate summer, purchasing more than 1.2 million pairs of sunglasses and more than 1 million swimsuits.
- Since Prime Day shopping began on July 12, select Fire TV, Echo, and Blink devices have been among the best-selling items on Amazon in the US
- In the three weeks leading up to Prime Day, customers in all 50 US states made purchases from small businesses participating in the Support Small Businesses to Win Big sweepstakes, with businesses in Delaware, New York and Wyoming being the largest pro -head turnovers recorded.
- Amazon Live Prime Day streams have had more than 100 million views.
- Thousands of YouTubers streamed during Prime Day 2022.
Michael Kozlowski has been writing about audio books and e-readers for twelve years. His articles have been picked up by major and local news sources and websites such as CBC, CNET, Engadget, Huffington Post and the New York Times. He lives in Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada.