That iPhone 14 pro will feature unique behavior on the lock screen and significant changes to the status bar thanks to its always-on display, according to a source spoken to MacRumors.
The source behind the latest wave of information was responsible for that Bomb leak earlier this week which claimed that the “iPhone 14 Pro’s” display cutouts appear to have a single, uniform “pill” at the top of the display rather than two distinct cutouts.
According to new information from the source exclusively shared with MacRumors, iOS 16The lock screen will interact directly with the iPhone 14 Pro’s always-on display, which offers integration with notifications and the depth effect and colors of wallpapers.
The “iPhone 14 Pro” status bar will also reportedly see changes, with increased usable space at the top of the display, moving the cellular signal indicator to the left, and reimplementing the full-width battery status bar on the lock screen and notification center when the device is unlocked Is blocked.
The source shared several graphics, allegedly based on information from Apple, showing some of the iPhone 14 Pro software changes on the iPhone MacRumors forums and has since provided more information. The iPhone 14 Pro will appear to have the following features and specific changes:
- The background of lock screen wallpapers with depth effect is removed and completely darkened when the display is in always-on mode while the foreground is dimmed. In addition, the foreground is tinted with color and feature edge highlights depending on user customization.
- widgets will be visible on the always-on display, but will fade in and out at set intervals, unnoticed by the user to prevent OLED burn-in.
- Content displayed on the always-on lock screen and the fully lit lock screen must be configured the same way and cannot be separated, which means they must share the same wallpapers, color choices, fonts, and widgets. The core visual elements of the always-on display itself can be customized independently.
- Notifications are part of the iPhone 14 Pro’s always-on-display experience, and like the regular lock screen, notifications slide in from the bottom one at a time and remain subtly visible for 10 seconds. Once the display is on, the notifications will animate from below and continue with customizing how notifications are displayed on the lock screen (e.g. count, stack or list).
- Apple may also allow users to turn on a notification counter at the bottom of the always-on display.
Apple is also said to be planning to release an update like iOS 16.0.1 or 16.1 soon after the iPhone 14 Pro launches, which will include fixes for issues with the device’s always-on display and wallpapers. While the company is now in the final stages of developing the feature, it is reportedly still encountering bugs and is working on software engineers from various teams, including the Apple Watch, to finalize the always-on-display experience before launch.
The iPhone 14 Pro lineup is expected to be unveiled at the Apple’s “Far Out” event on Wednesday 7 September. the iPhone 14 and iPhone 14 Pro will likely be Available for advance purchase on Friday 9th September and arriving at customers from Friday 16th September.