October 18, 2022
Apple introduces the next-generation iPad Pro, powered by the M2 chip
The new iPad Pro offers a next-generation Apple Pencil hover experience, ProRes video capture, super-fast Wi-Fi 6E and powerful features in iPadOS 16
CUPERTINO, CALIFORNIA Apple announced the new one today iPad Pro with the M2 chip that offers the ultimate combination of portability, versatility and incredible performance. The new iPad Pro offers a next-generation Apple Pencil hover experience and super-fast wireless connectivity, along with the world’s most advanced mobile display, pro-level cameras, Face ID, Thunderbolt, and a quad-speaker audio system. New features in iPadOS 16 – including Stage Manager, full external display support,1 Desktop-class apps and reference mode – take professional workflows even further on iPad. Backed by its advanced hardware and iPadOS 16, iPad Pro has an incredible ecosystem of powerful pro apps unlike any other device of its kind. The new iPad Pro can be ordered from today and will be available in stores from Wednesday 26 October.
“The next-generation iPad Pro pushes the boundaries of what’s possible on the iPad, bringing even more versatility, power and portability to the ultimate iPad experience,” said Greg Joswiak, Apple’s senior vice president of Worldwide Marketing. “Powered by the M2 chip, the new iPad Pro offers incredible performance and the most advanced technologies, including a next-generation Apple Pencil Hover experience, ProRes video capture, super-fast wireless connectivity, and powerful iPadOS 16 features. There’s nothing like it.”
Breakthrough performance from the M2 chip
M2, the beginning of Apple’s next-generation M-series chips, brings even more breakthrough performance and capabilities to iPad Pro with industry-leading power efficiency, a unified memory architecture, and custom technologies.
M2 features an 8-core CPU – up to 15 percent faster than M1 – with improvements in both performance and efficiency cores, and a 10-core GPU that delivers up to 35 percent faster graphics performance for the most demanding users offers. Combined with the CPU and GPU, the 16-core Neural Engine can handle 15.8 trillion operations per second — 40 percent more than M1 — making iPad Pro even more powerful when it comes to tackling machine learning tasks. The M2 chip also offers 100 GB/s of unified memory bandwidth – 50 percent more than M1 – and supports up to 16 GB of fast unified memory, making multitasking and working with large assets even smoother.2
M2’s performance accelerates even the most demanding workflows, from photographers editing massive photo libraries and designers manipulating complex 3D objects, to medical professionals applying advanced imaging and analysis, to gamers enjoying graphics-intensive games. The power of M2 also extends to the new media engine and image signal processor which, combined with the advanced cameras, allow users to record ProRes video for the first time and transcode ProRes material up to three times faster. This means content creators can capture, edit and publish cinematic quality video from a single device.
A next-level Apple Pencil hover experience
Powered by the new iPad Pro and iPadOS 16, Hover with the Apple Pencil (2nd generation) offers a whole new dimension for users to interact with their screen. The Apple Pencil is now recognized up to 12mm above the display, allowing users to preview their mark before creating it. This also allows users to sketch and illustrate with even greater precision, making everything users do with the Apple Pencil even more effortless. For example, Scribble automatically expands text boxes as the pen approaches the screen, and converts handwriting to text even faster. Third-party apps can also take advantage of this new feature to enable entirely new marking and drawing experiences.
Super-fast wireless connectivity
The new iPad Pro supports the fastest Wi-Fi connections with support for Wi-Fi 6E,3 So users who need fast connections can take their demanding workflows with them wherever they go. Downloads are twice as fast as the previous generation at up to 2.4 Gbps. Wi-Fi + Cellular models with 5G (below 6 GHz and mmWave4) now support more 5G networks around the world, so users can access their files, communicate with colleagues and back up their data on the go.5
Unmatched Pro features enabled by iPadOS 16
In addition to major updates to News, new tools in Mail and Safari, the new Weather app, and more ways to interact with photos and videos with Live Text and visual search, iPadOS 16 also introduces powerful productivity features that enhance the iPad Pro experience:
- stage manager is an all-new multitasking experience that automatically organizes apps and windows so you can switch between tasks quickly and easily. Later this year, Stage Manager will unlock full support for external displays with resolutions up to 6K, allowing users to set up the ideal workspace and work with up to four apps on the iPad and up to four apps on the external display.
- Desktop class apps Enable new features optimized for viewing on iPad Pro – making apps more powerful with new elements and interactions, including consistent undo and redo, redesigned inline search and replace, new document menu, customizable toolbars, and the Ability to change file extensions, view folder size in files and more.
- fashion references enables the 12.9-inch iPad Pro with Liquid Retina XDR display to meet the color needs of workflows such as review and approval, color grading, and compositing where accurate color and consistent image quality are critical. This means professional users, including photographers and videographers, can edit HDR images and video with every lifelike detail right in their hands, and cinematographers can preview content on set in a color profile that represents the final shot.
iPad and the environment
Designed to minimize their impact on the environment, the new iPad models include 100 percent recycled gold – a first for the iPad – in the coating of several circuit boards, as well as recycled aluminum, tin and rare earth elements. All iPad models meet Apple’s high standards for energy efficiency and are Mercury, BFR, PVC and Beryllium free. The new iPad Pro’s redesigned packaging eliminates the outer plastic wrapper and 99 percent of the packaging is fiber-based, bringing Apple closer to its goal of completely eliminating plastic from all packaging by 2025.
Today, Apple is carbon neutral in its global operations and plans to be 100 percent carbon neutral across its entire manufacturing supply chain and product lifecycle by 2030. This means that every Apple device sold has a net-zero carbon footprint, from the manufacturing of the components, assembly, transportation, customer use, charging, to recycling and material recovery.
Prices and Availability
- The new iPad Pro can be ordered from today, October 18, at apple.com/store and on the Apple Store app in 28 countries and regions, including the LOUSEwith availability in stores from Wednesday 26th October.
- The new 11-inch and 12.9-inch iPad Pro will be available in silver and space gray finishes with 128GB, 256GB, 512GB, 1TB, and 2TB configurations.
- The 11-inch iPad Pro starts at $799 (US) for the Wi-Fi model and $999 (US) for the Wi-Fi + Cellular model; the 12.9-inch iPad Pro starts at $1,099 (US) for the Wi-Fi model and $1,299 (US) for the Wi-Fi + Cellular model.
- The Apple Pencil (2nd generation), sold separately, is compatible with the new iPad Pro for $129 (LOUSE).
- Magic Keyboard is available in black and white $299 (USA) for the new 11-inch iPad Pro and $349 (LOUSE) for the new 12.9-inch iPad Pro with layouts for over 30 languages.
- The Smart Keyboard Folio for the new iPad Pro is available for $179 (USA) for the new 11-inch iPad Pro and $199 (USA) for the new 12.9-inch iPad Pro.
- The Smart Folio is available in black, white, and navy blue $79 (LOUSE) for the new 11-inch iPad Pro and $99 (USA) for the new 12.9-inch iPad Pro.
- Education awards are available to current and newly admitted college students and their parents, as well as faculty, staff and home school teachers of all grade levels. The new 11-inch iPad Pro starts at $749 (US), and the 12.9-inch iPad Pro starts at $999 (LOUSE). The second generation Apple Pencil is available for $119 (US) and the Smart Keyboard Folio is available for $159 (USA) for the 11-inch iPad Pro and $179 (US) for the 12.9-inch iPad Pro. The Magic Keyboard will be available at $279 (USA) for the 11-inch iPad Pro and $329 (US) for the 12.9-inch iPad Pro. For more information visit apple.com/us-hed/shop.
- iPadOS 16, the powerful operating system built specifically for the iPad, is available starting Monday, October 24th and ships free with the new iPad Pro. iPadOS 16 will be available as a free software update for iPad (5th generation and later), iPad mini (5th generation and later), iPad Air (3rd generation and later) and all iPad Pro models.
- Customers can trade in their current iPad and receive credit towards a new one. When your device is received and verified, Apple credits the value of your payment method.
- Engrave iPad with a meaningful mix of emoji, names, initials and numbers, all for free, only available at apple.com/store or in the Apple Store app.
- Apple offers its customers a range of in-store and online services. From personalized support and advice from Apple specialists to convenient delivery and collection options, Apple makes sure the best way to buy Apple products is at Apple Stores and apple.com/store.
Apple revolutionized personal technology with the introduction of the Macintosh in 1984. Today, Apple is the world leader in innovation with the iPhone, iPad, Mac, Apple Watch and Apple TV. Apple’s five software platforms – iOS, iPadOS, macOS, watchOS and tvOS – offer seamless experiences across all Apple devices and empower people with groundbreaking services like the App Store, Apple Music, Apple Pay and iCloud. Apple’s more than 100,000 employees are committed to making the best products in the world and leaving the world better than we found it.
- Full external display support for Stage Manager on M1 and M2 iPad models will be available in a software update later this year.
- Performance is compared to the previous generation iPad Pro.
- Wi-Fi 6E is not available in mainland China and Japan.
- mmWave is only available in the US and Puerto Rico.
- 5G WiFi plan and coverage required. The speeds vary. Check with the carriers for details.
Apple Media Helpline